What is a house extension?
A house extension is a development procedure to a property that expands the usable space, this can be achieved either through an internal extension (known commonly as a loft conversion or a basement conversion) or through external house extensions.
What Are The Benefits Of Extending Your Home?
- You will have more usable living space, more rooms in the house are always desirable and can be used for a range of purposes, home cinema, gyms’ additional bedrooms and bathrooms.
- Home extensions increase the value of a property, adding a loft conversion or a basement conversion to a home can increase the properties’ value by 25%, two storey extensions can add overt 30% to the value of a property, making it easy to see why so many people opt for expanding the home they live in rather than purchasing a new property.
- Rental options, having additional space opens a homeowner up to the prospect of receiving rental income from the additional space (it’s becoming more and more popular among homeowners to rent out their loft space to tenants).
- Aesthetics, house extensions can develop the perimeter and surface area space of a property giving the appearance of a large “mighty” property that makes a statement with it’s design.
- Additional storage space, some people choose to extend their home for the most simple of purposes, additional storage room can be made from additional space in a property.
How Long Does It Take To Build A Home Extension?
This is dependant on several different factors:
- The size and complexity of the extension: Some properties are larger than others, and some designs are more complex and require more bespoke elements than other properties.
- The availability of the extension builders that you choose to work with, good builders are generally busy people, you could be on a waiting list for some time, so choose carefully.
- How common the materials are that are being used, are there bespoke materials to be used according to the plans? If so, this could increase the time taken to source the materials for the project
- How long it takes to gain planning permission for the extension, commonly expansions to a property require planning permissions, (planning permissions are permissions for a building project from the local authority).
- Are there works being carried out on the property that need to be completed prior to the extension? (self explanatory)
There are other factors but these are the main ones, most of them are workable, and aren’t automatically an issue that means an extension cannot go ahead or the approach cannot be adapted.
How Much Does A House Extension Cost?
Usually a house extension will cost in the ballpark region of £1,000-£1,200 per square metre, but again this will be dependant on the complexity and whether or not there are specific materials to be used on the extension.
The best option in most cases with a question like “What will be the price of my extension?” is to speak with a specialist builder, who will be able to answer these questions for you, in a way that is tailor made for your project.
How To Choose The Best Company For My Extension – Quick Tips
- Make sure that the builders are accredited, they will need a CSCS card and they should have SMSTS training, a City and Guilds Certificate is desirable.
- Check their pricing, think about comparing the quote you receive from the builder with quotes from other building companies’ to make sure that the quotes are fair and reasonable.
- Make sure that the company you choose for your home extension will be available to carry out the work in the time-frames you’re looking for, in the event they can’t you may need to either re-think your plans, or re-think the building company you work with.
Proceed with care when planning your project and choose a company that can meet your needs and expectations, it is advisable to check on a portfolio if there is one available to review, it is always a good policy to check on previous works from a company before proceeding with any build project.